Giddings & Lewis VTC Series 1.25 - 4.5m
Giddings & Lewis VTC Series vertical turning centers
Fives’ 1.25 to 4.5 m Giddings & Lewis vertical turning centers have the power, capacity and options that make them the industry standard for vertical turning. The latest innovation is a Y-axis attachment capable of machining off-centerline part features.
- Modular design allows the choice of many column heights, Z travel and attachments to suit any part size or complexity
- The adjustable rail elevation which uses precision linear scales has an infinite number of cross slide positions and accommodates a wide range of parts
- Full X-axis travel, left and right of center, allows cutting from both sides of center and probing part diameters optimizing turning operations.
- Hydrostatic ram adds stiffness for heavy cuts, better surface finishes and greater accuracy
- Productive options include live spindles, side heads, grinding and Y-axis attachments, pallet shuttles and more…
VTC 1000 - 4500
Table size (mm)
1000 – 4500
Maximum swing (mm)
1200 – 4700
Table speed (rpm)
630 – 100
Ram size (mm)
250 x 250
Z-axis vertical travel (mm)
750 – 1750
Rapid traverse (m/min)
AC drive motor (kW)
75 – 108
Maximum torque Nm)
17,113 - 102,885
Thrust bearing load capacity (kg)
82,200 - 199,600
26 - 208 positions
Applications and operations
The versatility of the Giddings & Lewis VTC Series is unmatched. Plunge milling, helical interpolation, high feed milling, grinding, hard turning and off-center side machining are just a few of the advanced processes. Our application experts can help you determine the operations best suited for your parts. See some of the action for yourself in our videos.
- Add machining-center capabilities and machine in one setup with live spindles.
- Drill, mill and tap the sides of a part with a right angle head live spindle or Y-axis attachment.
- Four axis machining, with two heads, allows simultaneous cutting. Perform OD and ID cuts at the same time. Rough with one head and finish with the other.
- Cut from both sides of center and probe diameters with full X-axis travel, left and right of center.
- Available on 1.25 to 3.5 m VTCs, the side head option is ideal for pinch turning or machining of tall or flanged parts.
- For higher volume jobs, the automation of a pallet shuttle optimizes production time. Operators may setup parts while the machine is cutting.
Available options include
- Y-axis attachment
- Live spindles
- Right angle head live spindles
- Grinding attachments
- Full-contouring C-axis
- 4-axis models with two rams
- Pallet shuttles
- Tool and part probes
Manufacturers worldwide are benefiting from the capacity and versatility of Giddings & Lewis vertical turning centers. Click on the application reports below to read how customers in the following industries are using Giddings & Lewis VTCs to increase their productivity.
Y-axis attachment adds capability to machine off-centerline art features
Machining operations that are off centerline such as face milling or bolt hole drilling on flanges often require machining on a horizontal machining center or boring mill. The Giddings & Lewis Y-axis attachment allows machining of these off-centerline features on the vertical turning center. Setups are reduced or eliminated with the added Y-axis functionality decreasing production time and cost. Watch the video to see the Y-axis in action. The attachment is available on all new VTC Series lathes and as a retrofit on select models.
Four Axis Cutting
Full X-Axis Travel
Live Spindle Cutting
Side head VTC
Right angle live spindle VTC attachment
VTC grinding attachment
VTC with pallet shuttle
⇒ For recruitment-related matters (application, etc.), please do not use this form. Make your requests on this page.
In order to address your request, we need to collect the information listed in the form below
Information on data processing
As a data processor, FIVES implements personal data processing when managing your contact request. The data collected are required for this processing and are retained, unless you object, for a period of 6 months from the last contact between you and FIVES. If the information is incomplete, FIVES will not be able to respond to your contact.
The data collected are exclusively for the use of FIVES departments.
Pursuant to current legislation, you have the right to request access to data concerning you, their correction, deletion and portability, as well as a right of limitation over processing of your data.
These rights can be exercised by email to DPO@fivesgroup.com or by post to the Data Protection Officer at the following address: FIVES, 3 Rue Drouot, 75009 Paris, accompanied by a copy of an identity document.
In case of a dispute involving processing of your personal data, you have the right to make a complaint to the French Data Protection Agency (CNIL).
To find out more about our personal data protection policy click here