Fives Giddings & Lewis Celebrates 160 Years
Celebrate the 160th Anniversary of Giddings & Lewis Machine Tools
What started back in 1859 as a lumber equipment job shop has grown and evolved with the demands of the markets, touching several industries along the way. Fives Giddings & Lewis still stands today in the same location as in 1859, at the corner of Doty and Rees Street. In 1902 we began producing machine tools, starting with engine lathes and boring mills. During WWI and WWII a large portion of the business was in government work as our nation’s defense department and military took first priority. In 1955 the first commercially available CNC was created in partnership with MIT.