Giddings & Lewis integrated contouring head HBM
Giddings & Lewis horizontal boring mills with integrated contouring head
Fives’ dual-head design of the Giddings & Lewis horizontal boring mills with integrated contouring head offers both a live spindle with added Z/W-axis reach and an integrated contouring head with U-axis turning capabilities. Automatic changeover from the live spindle to the integrated contouring head optimizes spindle utilization, improves part accuracy and reduces cycle time. Available on rotary table, pallet shuttle and floor-type Giddings & Lewis boring mills.
Advantages of HBM with integrated contouring head
- Integrated contouring head reduces tooling needs by cutting part features of varying sizes and providing turning operations such as grooving, threading, contouring, facing, backfacing and more
- Standard KM or Capto tooling is interchangeable into both heads; live spindle also accepts CAT 50 tools
- Slide motion of the integrated contouring head is counterbalanced to reduce vibration and improve bore quality
- Ability to probe contouring head features using a probe in the live spindle or auxiliary probe increases part accuracy and throughput
- Two contouring head sizes are available with absolute positioning slide capable of diameters from 50 to 540 or 980 mm
- Contouring head has substantial tool length (600 mm) and weight capacity (18 kg)
- Auto-coupler allows use of programmable boring bars up to 50 kg (110 lb) and 750 mm (29.5 in) in the live spindle for added machining reach and versatility
Applications and operations
Valves, fracking blocks, blowout preventers and pumps are just a few of the parts that benefit from the Fives’ multi-functional capabilities of the Giddings & Lewis machining centers and boring mills with integrated contouring heads. Machine features such as tapered bores, grooves, threads, chamfers and phonographic finishes with the dual-head design. See a video animation of the machine in operation.
- Large capacity tool magazines
- Tool and part probes
- Controls – Siemens or Fanuc
- Coolant systems
Integrated Contouring Head
Integrated contouring head operations
⇒ For recruitment-related matters (application, etc.), please do not use this form. Make your requests on this page.