Giddings & Lewis VTC Series 1.25 - 4.5m
Giddings & Lewis VTC Series vertical turning centers
Fives’ 1.25 to 4.5 m Giddings & Lewis vertical turning centers have the power, capacity and options that make them the industry standard for vertical turning. The latest innovation is a Y-axis attachment capable of machining off-centerline part features.
- Modular design allows the choice of many column heights, Z travel and attachments to suit any part size or complexity
- The adjustable rail elevation which uses precision linear scales has an infinite number of cross slide positions and accommodates a wide range of parts
- Full X-axis travel, left and right of center, allows cutting from both sides of center and probing part diameters optimizing turning operations.
- Hydrostatic ram adds stiffness for heavy cuts, better surface finishes and greater accuracy
- Productive options include live spindles, side heads, grinding and Y-axis attachments, pallet shuttles and more…
VTC 1000 - 4500
Table size (mm)
1000 – 4500
Maximum swing (mm)
1200 – 4700
Table speed (rpm)
630 – 100
Ram size (mm)
250 x 250
Z-axis vertical travel (mm)
750 – 1750
Rapid traverse (m/min)
AC drive motor (kW)
75 – 108
Maximum torque Nm)
17,113 - 102,885
Thrust bearing load capacity (kg)
82,200 - 199,600
26 - 208 positions
Applications and operations
The versatility of the Giddings & Lewis VTC Series is unmatched. Plunge milling, helical interpolation, high feed milling, grinding, hard turning and off-center side machining are just a few of the advanced processes. Our application experts can help you determine the operations best suited for your parts. See some of the action for yourself in our videos.
- Add machining-center capabilities and machine in one setup with live spindles.
- Drill, mill and tap the sides of a part with a right angle head live spindle or Y-axis attachment.
- Four axis machining, with two heads, allows simultaneous cutting. Perform OD and ID cuts at the same time. Rough with one head and finish with the other.
- Cut from both sides of center and probe diameters with full X-axis travel, left and right of center.
- Available on 1.25 to 3.5 m VTCs, the side head option is ideal for pinch turning or machining of tall or flanged parts.
- For higher volume jobs, the automation of a pallet shuttle optimizes production time. Operators may setup parts while the machine is cutting.
Available options include
- Y-axis attachment
- Live spindles
- Right angle head live spindles
- Grinding attachments
- Full-contouring C-axis
- 4-axis models with two rams
- Pallet shuttles
- Tool and part probes
Manufacturers worldwide are benefiting from the capacity and versatility of Giddings & Lewis vertical turning centers. Click on the application reports below to read how customers in the following industries are using Giddings & Lewis VTCs to increase their productivity.
Y-axis attachment adds capability to machine off-centerline art features
Machining operations that are off centerline such as face milling or bolt hole drilling on flanges often require machining on a horizontal machining center or boring mill. The Giddings & Lewis Y-axis attachment allows machining of these off-centerline features on the vertical turning center. Setups are reduced or eliminated with the added Y-axis functionality decreasing production time and cost. Watch the video to see the Y-axis in action. The attachment is available on all new VTC Series lathes and as a retrofit on select models.
Four Axis Cutting
Full X-Axis Travel
Live Spindle Cutting
Side head VTC
Right angle live spindle VTC attachment
VTC grinding attachment
VTC with pallet shuttle